Saturday, October 17, 2009

I John 3:2

"...we shall see Him as He is."


We have all done it, especially in this society, and I'm sure it's not difficult to picture the typical country pastor who cleverly says in response to compliments, "I wish my wife thought of me the same as you do, but she can't because she has to live with me!" In a society swarming with... how do I say this gently... an overemphasized appreciation for individuals, it's not too long before we realize the ideas we have in our minds about even the saintliest of God's servants paints a far too rosy picture for them. I'm sure they, like ourselves, want those things to be true about them, but it's not the reality. I'm reminded of one godly man who was urged by his supporters to respond to harsh slander and criticism. Everyone was expecting him to be appalled by what was said, and send out a well reasoned defense of his character, which was above reproach, but after reading the comments, he said to his supporters, "gentlemen, I am all of those things and more."

Now there is a man with a correct view of himself. Whether or not the things said about him were true wasn't important. He understood that the worst thing someone could say about him still fell short of who he really was apart from Christ. He wasn't interested in defending his character because why defend a man he has been trying to kill since he was introduced to Christ?

Jesus Christ has the opposite problem. Any exultation or words of praise you could offer Christ still fall short of what He deserves. Jesus Christ presents for us the perfect juxtaposition to humanity at it's best. You may think you appreciate Christ now, but just wait until you see what He is REALLY like! When you think of the depth and richness of that statement, "We shall see Him as He is." It makes you wonder why you would want to have anything to do with yourself any longer. I would challenge all of you to take a good, hard look at who you are "in the inner-most parts" and then think about who Christ is. When you understand those two things, you're ready to worship.

1 comment:

  1. I commented earlier??! urrg.

    In a nutshell: Well put, Jake! And Praise God for opening our eyes to these things.

    ReplyDelete